Friday, March 15, 2013

Green Eggs and Ham

*This picture of Matthew was taken before his much-needed haircut. He now looks a little less hippyish.

I am thrilled to be featured as a guest blogger on my friend Christina's site Waltzing in Beauty. Christina is one of my best friends from our college days at Notre Dame. I miss her dearly and do not get to see her often enough now that we live in different states! She is hosting a series of posts in honor of the Encourage Beauty campaign for the month of March. You can read the guest post here.

We are all so very excited for the upcoming arrival of our new baby. Every day, my husband wakes up in the morning and asks me: "Could today be the day?" It was kind of cute at first, but after about 10 days of him asking that very same question, it has begun to irritate me. In addition to the normal fears about birth and adjusting to life with a newborn feeding schedule, I am also highly afraid of what we will be eating for meals in the following weeks.

Paul has sweetly told me over and over: "Don't worry! I will take care of everything."

And that's exactly what I am afraid of.

The first time Paul ever made me lunch, he quickly threw together an egg salad sandwich. It was my first egg salad ever and it was incredibly delicious! However, at the time, I did not realize that the only reason he made me that particular type of sandwich was because it was one of the few things he knows how to make.

Over the past five years, I have quickly learned that whenever I am out of commission (and grilling season is not quite upon us), we are doomed to choke down egg salad sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Maybe it is his secret way of motivating me to get better more quickly, but Paul certainly knows how to ruin the simple joy of a boiled egg.

When Paul offered to make dinner last night, I had a pretty faint suspicion as to what might be on the menu. I was greatly surprised and slightly disgusted when he flopped this down in front of me:


Oh yes, that is egg salad.

Why is it green?

Because Paul decided to "amp up" his normal method by mashing an avocado in with the hard boiled eggs. He also decided to be extra fancy and serve the sandwiches "open faced" with thin slices of ice-cold ham on top. His very own culinary tribute to the beloved Dr. Seuss classic "Green Eggs and Ham."

Oh yum.

I think Matthew summed it up properly when he took one horrified look at our dinner and declared: "Yuuuuck! That's gross!"

I plan to be back cooking our meals as soon as humanly possible following delivery. Otherwise, we might all starve.

1 comment:

  1. How creative, Paul! I am impressed. I think you will have teach our men how to cook here. :)

    ReplyDelete