Tuesday, March 19, 2013

TWD: Mocha Chip Cookies


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie challenge features a much easier recipe than the croissant making-fiasco that was our last posting. This time around, the group chose to make Mocha Chip Cookies from Rick Katz.

A variation on your basic chocolate chip cookie, these babies were amped up a bit thanks to the addition of instant coffee. I did not have any instant coffee on hand, so I chose to substitute instant espresso powder, but cut it down by half since espresso powder is much, much stronger. I also chose to use both dark chocolate and white chocolate chunks in the cookies. I thought the dried apricots sounded a little weird so I ended up omitting them. My husband, after trying a cookie straight out of the oven, commented that he thought the apricots would have been an awesome addition. I have no idea what he's talking about - I am so happy I omitted them because I was all about the chocolate-and-coffee combination in this recipe. I did not want any potentially healthy ingredients to get in the way of that divine pairing!


These were absolutely delicious and a recipe that I will definitely be making again in the future. I chose to freeze half the batch and share the other half with some of our friends to prevent us from eating them all in one sitting. However, freezing the cookies did not really deter us from eating them. They taste pretty good frozen and (I am a little ashamed to admit) are now completely gone. Matthew did not care for them too much, which is surprising since he is such a coffee fiend, but Paul and I really did not mind having more to ourselves!

If you would like the recipe, please head over to Peggy's blog Galettista or purchase the book!

9 comments:

  1. I want to try this soon... and thanks for linking the recipe and for the post too..!
    espresso coffee machines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psst, please don't say it aloud that they are delicious even if frozen.
    I've frozen 2/3 of them (after doubling the recipe) and try to keep away from the freezer,...but now that I know.... Uhuuuu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies look like they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you loved these! They were so good, I ended up eating close to the entire batch (which I smartly halved)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were good - I made sure to take these to the office so that I wouldn't eat them all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking cookies! They really were delicious, and I be making them again. I think I will try them with apricots next time...other bloggers are convincing me. :) I went the dried cherries instead, as I know chocolate and cherries are so good. And I loved the addition of espresso. (which I also used)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cookies! I also wasn't sure about apricots, but loved them in the end. Mine turned a bit rogue, but the end product was still very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cookies look wonderful and I like the fact that you added white as well as dark chocolate to this recipe - it seems to be a recipe that lends itselfs to many variations! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What delicious looking cookies! Cookie dough in the freezer here never makes it to the oven. ;)
    When you make these again, do try part of your batch with the apricots - they are really, really good.

    ReplyDelete