Friday, September 20, 2013

Seven Quick Takes: Pumpkin Edition


Ever since Labor Day rolled around, it seems we have been barraged with all things Halloween, pumpkin, fall, and Thanksgiving (NO!). Most people seem so incredibly eager for the chilly weather, cozy soups, football games, ghoulish sugar-hungry children begging their way around the neighborhood, and family holiday gatherings that fill the last few months of the year. Fall is one of my favorite seasons - I too enjoy the chilly weather, the changing leaves, and all the comfort food I get to make now that it is not too hot to turn that oven on!



However, I still do not feel ready for it yet! We have been experiencing some beautiful high temperatures and gorgeous sunshine that makes me want to hold onto that last bit of summer before we bid it farewell for the next 8 months.

That does not mean that I am not craving all things Pumpkin. As soon as I noticed that Starbucks had plopped its famed Pumpkin Spice Latte back on their drink menu, I began to get an itch to bake, cook, and eat all things pumpkin. But I absolutely refuse. I must, must, MUST hold out until October.

In the meantime, for 7 Quick Takes Friday, I will post my top pumpkin-themed treats that I will be making come October. I definitely have more than seven on my "to make soon" list, but these are the ones I am most looking forward to making! I'm linking up with all the other lovely people at Conversion Diary.

-1-



Fall would not be complete without indulging in a couple slices of pumpkin bread. My Mom makes a killer pumpkin bread (she's downright famous for it) and I can usually rely on her having a loaf or two on hand when I go home for a visit. This does not stop me from making my own and stockpiling my freezer with a few loaves for a yummy fall breakfast (or as a snack paired with one of those pumpkin spice lattes!).

-2-



Horrible, horrible picture of these magnificent cookies...but do not let that deter you from making these. These are one of my absolute favorite cookies of all time. I love the soft frosted pumpkin cookies that you can find in most stores, but these chewy pumpkin cookies laced with butterscotch are amazing. The butterscotch is ground with the oats in the recipe so that you get a bit of their flavor in every single bite. 

-3-



This is a new recipe I have yet to try, but it reminds me of a from-scratch version of a pumpkin dump cake that my family made a ton while I was growing up. I think this will be the dessert I make to warm my little trick-or-treaters after they are done making their rounds about the neighborhood (as if the 5 pound bag of candy they'll return with isn't enough sugar!..at least pumpkin is a vegetable). I found the recipe on the beautiful blog Cooking Classy.

-4-



I will never say no to a freshly baked blondie. But blondie batter swirled with the remarkable addition of pumpkin and white chocolate? Just give me the whole pan. These are amazing served warm with a scoop of cinnamon ice cream.

-5-



In college, I used to save up all my "domer dollars" to splurge on a pumpkin scone when studying into the wee hours of the morning. I am so going to make my own this Fall. Best part about scones? They can be frozen prior to baking and then popped in the oven when needed with a slight extension in baking time. A perfect make-ahead special breakfast for company!

-6-



I love having some crunchy biscotti on hand to dunk into my morning cup of coffee. Matthew enjoys having them on hand to chip his teeth with since he opts to painfully crunch his way through a cookie rather than softening it in his coffee. He bears the pain like a true warrior because he enjoys the flavor. Anyway, these pumpkin biscotti are a perfect addition to morning coffee flavored with pumpkin spice creamer!

-7-



These soft sandwich cookies are incredible. They are a bit of a project to make, but so worth it in the end. And they look so cute on a holiday cookie platter! Always a big hit with the little people. Except for my dainty little Matthew. He cannot stand getting the filling on his fingers. What do you expect from the boy who eats Rice Krispies Treats with a knife and fork? This recipe comes from one of my favorite baking cookbooks ever.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I am at my limit already for seven pumpkin treats!?! But there are so many more treats I want to share! Like this and this and these and THESE! I might be overdosing on pumpkin. Come Thanksgiving I'll be sick of it (like that will ever happen!).

Please check out more quick takes at Conversion Diary!

No comments:

Post a Comment